Monday, August 24, 2026

Reasons to be Team Jacob

Dear Jacob Black...
I think we all owe you an apology.
It has been years since I first watched Twilight, and somehow, every time I come back to New Moon, I find myself wondering the same thing:
How can someone ever not choose you?
Because there you are, sixteen, sunburnt, annoyingly handsome, riding around a motorcycle and somehow managing to pull Bella Swan out of the darkest place she´d ever been in.

And maybe that is why New Moon has always been my favourite. Not because it´s the happiest movie. God, no. It´s basically two hours of our girl Bella staring out of windows while every girl in the audience develops a concerning attachment to a fictional teenage boy.
Edward is gone. Bella is destroyed and then Jacob, he just... shows up.

He isn´t trying to be mysterious or making Bella doubt, he just slowly makes her feel alive again, he is there to make her laugh, he is there when she needs someone to talk to, and he is there to hold her. And that´s his charm. He is there with motorbikes, his friends and his golden retriever energy.
Edward is a vague promise to "love you forever".
    Jacob is actions not words, he just tells you "Get on the motorcycle".
And babe, sometimes you need the motorcycle.

"But Jacob isn´t perfect"
No, Jacob isn´t perfect. He gets jealous, he crosses boundaries, he can be inmature, and some of his choices are genuinely questionable.
BUT, the point was never that Jacob was perfect -the point was that he was human-.
Well... technically not human, but you get me.
Edward is literally written as an impossible romantic fantasy.
Jacob feels like someone you could actually meet.
And that´s exactly why New Moon makes Team Jacob so dangerous.
Because it isn´t really about choosing between two boys.
Edward is the person Bella thinks she cannot live without.
Jacob is the person who teaches her that she can live again.
He doesn´t make Bella feel like she has to become someone else to be loved, he loves the messy, human, ridiculous version of her.

And, honestly?
For one little movie, one little summer, one little stretch of time...
I would´ve chosen the boy who fixes motorcycles and loved the most hurtful and vulnerable version of me.
Jacob was the boy who stayed. And I think every girl has, at some point, fallen a bit in love with the boy who stayed.

Yours truly,
a girl who is finally admitting she was Team Jacob all along.

P.S. I still think the motorcycle was a very good argument.

I mean, c´mon! Look at that face!

 

1 comment:

  1. im so excited by this entry literally who on earth is not team jacob atp

    ReplyDelete